Dealing with Back Pain
Even a minor injury can cause crippling back pain and knock you out of action for weeks or even longer. At Ironwood Chiropractic in Richmond, we are experts when it comes to relieving the pain associated with the most common back issues. Whether your back pain is caused by an accident, overuse, or simply aging, we can help. Take your first step back towards living the life you deserve again by identifying the source of your back problems and learning how chiropractic treatment options can put an end to your pain.
Understanding the Most Common Back Problems You May Be Experiencing Right Now
There are two main categories of back pain: acute and chronic. Acute pain comes on quickly and is almost always due to physical trauma. While acute pain appears suddenly, it also doesn't linger long. Many people find that acute pain disappears after around six weeks. On the other hand, chronic back pain can take years to reach its peak. You may at first notice a mild, almost non-existent sensation that will slowly grow in intensity. Underlying structural issues or long-standing disorders often cause chronic pain. Chronic back pain can last for a long time, and many types of chronic back pain can become a life-long condition if left untreated for too long.
A few of the more common causes of back pain include:
- Heavy or repetitive lifting: Improper technique or being out-of-shape can cause ligaments to tear or strain.
- Skeletal irregularities: When the spine is out of alignment, such as in scoliosis cases, pressure can build and generate back pain.
- Damaged discs in the back: There are fluid-filled cushions called discs between each of the vertebra in the spine. These discs can rupture or bulge and cause pressure and rubbing.
- Improper sleeping positions: Poorly constructed or maintained mattresses and unusual sleeping positions can cause undue strain to the spine or encourage awkward twisting at night.
Not all back pain requires treatment, but if you notice any of the following symptoms, you should speak with a medical professional right away:
- Pain resulting from a fall or injury
- Feelings of weakness
- Numb lower legs
- Sudden weight loss
The Chiropractor's Approach to Relieving Back Pain
When the spinal column, muscles, ligaments, and soft tissues are out of alignment or damaged, the result is pain. A skilled chiropractor can relieve that pain using a variety of techniques to put everything back to where it is supposed to be. Dr. Michael Gagnon from Ironwood Chiropractic is well known and highly respected in the Richmond, BC, area. In addition to back pain and injuries, Dr. Gagnon treats a wide range of medical issues. Call us today at 604-271-3234 to make an appointment!